A meeting of the minds...well, not exactly...  

Posted by Dana Lynn Thompson


So, this past Wednesday, George and I had a meeting of the minds, or should I say at least, our heads met. I had a really good training session riding George and since it was a bit warm out, he had gotten sweaty. After taking off his tack, I decided to give him a quick shower with the hose to cool him off. I had looped the lead rope over the hitching post in the wash rack like I normally do and had gone into the barn to get some shampoo for his tail.

While I was in the barn, George had walked over to the side of the wash rack and put his head down to eat grass. When I got back out there, I went over to that side to put him back in the center of the wash area. As I did, he picked his head up and the lead rope got caught on the side of the hitching post causing him to be spooked thus throwing his head sideways...right into mine REALLY HARD!

I staggered back a few steps and saw stars and I thought I was going to pass out. But it's funny how fast your brain can work and I thought to myself, "No. You can't pass out because Scott is down at the house and he won't know you need help." So, I kind of squatted down to get my bearings and put my hand up to my head. A second later I pulled my hand back and it was covered in blood. So then my brain thought "Ok, now you really ARE going to pass out!" But again, I didn't want to pass out because I needed to get down to the house to get some help.

I walked into the barn and then the tack room looking for a towel to put on my head. But there wasn't anything clean, so I took my t-shirt off and put it up to my head with pressure to try and stop the bleeding and walked down to the house. As soon as Scott saw me he came and met me in the kitchen and grabbed a chair so I could sit down and explain what happened. He took one look at my head and said "Oh yeah, that is going to need stitches." To which I replied "Are you SURE!?" because a) I have never had stitches and the thought of them taking a needle and thread to my head was VERY unpleasant and b) I didn't want to spend the next 10 hours hanging out in the emergency room waiting for them to "get to" my "non-life threatening head wound."

But he was sure, so we packed up the yummy dinner he had just made and put it in the fridge, grabbed some reading material and off we went to Floyd ER. To make a long story short, they were super nice and were actually able to glue my head back together instead of using stitches which would have left me looking like Frankenstein with an X and dots on my forehead. I would have definitely had to get bangs whether I wanted them or not. We were only there for 3 hours which by ER standards is not bad at all.

The funny part is I never did get a headache of any sort! My forehead did swell up though, and now the swelling has moved down into my eye area where under my eyes the skin has sort of a yellowish hue to it like I might be getting a black eye but not quite.

Spray and Wash took care of the blood on my pants, but alas, the only casualty was the t-shirt I was wearing which looked a piece of evidence from the O.J. murder trial. I am thankful it was not worse and know that every now and again these things happen with horses. I still love 'em though!!

This entry was posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at Monday, April 30, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

oh my!
i hope it's only a scratch and nothing serious in the end of this. HUGS

9:10 AM

Post a Comment